An Overview on coconut oil
Coconut oil is palatable oil which is obtained from the meat or kernel of grown coconut. Coconut oil is the chief source of fat. It has numerous functions in industry, food and medicines. Coconut oil can be used for cooking at very high temperature as it is heat stable. Due to its heat constancy, it takes more time to oxidize and hence it is anti rancid. Coconut oil contains high saturated fat and due to this reason it lasts for near about 2 years.
People have a misleading notion that consumption of oil is not that much good for their health. But the real fact is that appropriate use of oil can be beneficial to health as well as can promote beautiful body and health. Coconut oil has various benefits. And it can be used in kitchens for preparing various delicious items as well as for different parts of the body.
Apart from this, pure coconut oil has great benefits and it is good for skin and hair. Dietician and nutritionist endorse coconut oil for fitness reasons. They suggest people to consume coconut oil. In kerala coconut oil is very common. And they prepared food in coconut oil. There is a point to remember that we can’t cook all types of recipes in coconut oil.
Coconut oil is used in cosmetics and soaps too. Coconut oil has anti microbial property and because of this property coconut oil can be made to use in many conventional medicines to treat a range of health troubles.
Types of coconut oil:
Based on benefits and uses, coconut oil can be classified in to various types.
- Virgin coconut oil: The virgin coconut oil can be obtained from flesh of fresh coconut. This process of coconut oil extraction does not include any chemical or high temperature. And hence it helps the coconut oil in maintaining various natural properties of health. This type of coconut oil contains 50% lauric acid. Lauric acid is transformed into monolaurin and it’s an anti-microbial product which improves the immunity in the body. The virgin coconut oil consists of medium-chain-fatty-acid and helps in efficient metabolism. And hence virgin coconut oil can help in reducing weight.
- Refined coconut oil: Refined coconut oil is obtained from dried coconut flesh. Refined coconut oil goes through processing, per oxidizing and refreshing. Refined coconut oil is also called as RBD coconut oil which means refined, bleached and deodorized. Refined coconut oil can be used to prepare foods as it has a burn point near about 450 degrees F.
- Organic coconut oil: The organic coconut oil is extracted from the coconut which developed in organic fertilizer. No insecticides or synthetic fertilizers should be used. In addition to that, during extraction process no chemicals should be used. But it’s very difficult to determine the quality of the coconut oil. And it’s also not possible to differentiate organic and non organic coconut oil in terms of odor and taste.
- Hydrogenated coconut oil: Hydrogen coconut oil can be extracted by the process namely hydrogenation. It extends the coconut oil’s life and early decay of oil is prevented. In this process the hydrogen gas with greater pressure is forced into coconut oil. In this process the fatty acid changes into trans-fatty acid. And trans-fatty acids increases the risk of various diseases of heart and hence hydrogenated oil is dangerous for health and it should not be consumed.
Uses of coconut oil:
Coconut oil can be used for various purposes.
- Skin care: Coconut oil is very much beneficial for all types of skin. Its can be used as a moisturizer especially for aging and dry skin. It increases the glow of skin and by using coconut oil one can stay refreshed. The coconut oil contains fats and it helps in reducing the wrinkle appearance without any side effects. It can also be used in order to solve various skin problems like dermatitis, psoriasis and eczema and various other skin problems. They are also used in different products of skin care.
- Strain relief: Coconut oil is used during head massage. The coconut oil’s aroma is very calming and it helps in reducing the strain level.
- Digestion: The fats present in coconut oil contains anti bacterial property that helps in digestion by controlling fungi, parasites which are the main causes of indigestion and other problems related to digestion.
- Fitness: Coconut oil stimulates metabolism, improves functions of thyroid. And because of this reason coconut oil’s popularity is increasing day by day.
- Healing: Wounds can be protected from bacteria, outside dust and viruses with the help of coconut oil.
- Hair care: It is one of the most beneficial products that can be used for hair nourishment. It helps in reducing dandruff. Massage can be very much effective as it helps in reducing stress.
- Eye ointment: to reduce wrinkles, it can be apply below the eyes.
- Preshave: Can be used before shaving in order to prevent damage caused by shaving.
- Aftershave: Can be used after shaving so that skin can be healed.
- Toothpaste: A mixture of baking soda and coconut oil can be used as toothpaste.
- Make up cleaner: Can be used to remove make up from face.
- Sunscreen lotion: Can be used as sunscreen lotion in order to prevent skin from ultraviolet rays.
- Bleeding nose: Nose bleeding can be prevented by using coconut oil.
- Helps in reducing weight.
- Cooking: Coconut oil is used for cooking purposes. Various delicious recipes can be made by using coconut oil.
- Insect repulsive: A mixture of coconut oil and peppermint oil can be used as insect repellent.
- Pets benefit: It is good for cats and dogs.
- Furniture polishing: A mixture of lemon juice and coconut oil can be used to polish wooden furniture.
- It can also be used for cleaning and moisturizing leather materials.
Composition of coconut oil:
Coconut oil contains saturated fatty acid. And some of them are triglycerides which are packed in medium chain. Coconut oil also contains lauric acid which is the main supplier. Coconut oil also contains some other acids like myristic acid, palmitic, capric acid, caprylic acid.
- It also contains a polyunsaturated fatty acid namely linoleic acid.
- Coconut oil contains a monounsaturated fatty acid namely oleic acid.
- It contains Gallic acid which is a poly phenol.
- It also contains fatty acid’s derivatives like ethanol amide, fatty esters, polyol esters etc.
- It contains derivatives of fatty alcohols like fatty chlorides, fatty alcohol suphate and fatty alcohol ether sulphate.
- Coconut oil is composed of vitamin K, vitamin E and minerals like iron.